Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sarah's new wardrobe is all the buzz today, but what I want to know is who's watching the kids

The media is all over the cost and details of Sarah Palin's $150K wardrobe makeover today (see this), but what I have not seen covered is what the RNC is paying to educate and mind Sarah Palin's children as she campaigns across the country.

I am assuming there must be several full-time nannies to watch the younger children, who appear to be traveling with their mother. So, what's the scoop? Palin presumably is not changing most of Trig's diapers these days, nor checking Piper's and Willow's homework? Or maybe she is? And yes, I would ask the same question of a male candidate with an infant or with children who were traveling with him on the campaign trail.

3 comments:

Jen said...

It may be true that you might ask the same of male politician, but I can honestly say I've never seen the same question raised about a male candidate....ever.

If you're running for VP I assume you can afford help. Is it wrong to pay others to assist you? Rely on family? I care much more about Palin's policy positions...

Shouldn't we be trying to make the VP position more family friendly? Daycare at the white house? At the capitol? Let's think bigger...

Jen said...

I guess what I'm getting at is that I sense some judgment when you say you wonder who is watching the kids and I don't think men get judged in the same way.

Lisa R. Pruitt said...

I appreciate your comments, Jen, and especially that you are thinking big -- like day care at the White House. Wow! this is what high-powered workplaces need. What I am getting at here is curiosity, not judgment. I just want to know what is going on with the kids . . . she was willing to roll out Bristol and Levi at the Convention. . . but now, where are the kids? Of course, it is fine that she is not using their faces in photo ops (though I saw Trig in her arms quite recently -- maybe when she arrived for the VP debate), but it seems to me that if the media can cover who is paying for her wardrobe, they can tell us who is watching her kids and who is paying for it. After all, it is Palin who represents bringing down the barrier b/w public and private, per this interview with an Anchorage journalist. Listen to it here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95725546