Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Performing gender as an “out” lesbian

When I went to college I decided to come out and try to pretend like it wasn’t a big deal. I had been in the closet all of high school, despite having a long-term girlfriend and knowing that I was gay since age 13. During the year after starting college and coming out I struggled with how to visually demonstrate my gender and sexual orientation while developing a style that felt comfortable for me.

There are plenty of stereotypes about what lesbians and queer women look like. For example, people think of masculine presenting / butch women, flannels, vests and practical shoes (think Birkenstocks), among other things. When I started college I had long hair and wore generally feminine clothing, although I was never one to wear dresses, heals, or makeup.

Despite my “tomboy” nature, I imagined myself as being a femme-presenting lesbian. Because of this, I felt invisible to the queer community. Having never had any sort of queer community before, I had a desire to both fit into that community and be visually identifiable as queer.

Over the course of my freshman year I intentionally sought out clothing and styles that I associated with stereotypes of what lesbians were supposed to look like. I bought a flannel and a vest, and I always wore a rainbow bracelet as a silent but clear signal to anyone I met that I was part of the queer community. While to most people wearing a simple cloth bracelet might not be significant, to me, and I imagine to others in the queer community, it was a powerful and necessary way of finding other queer people in a world that assumes heterosexuality.

The summer after my freshman year I took it a step further – I cut my long hair short. The act of cutting my hair short made me visually queer. This act of making myself visually queer was a reflection both of what I imagined queer women to look like and the stereotypes that both the queer community and heterosexual community had placed on us.

For a period of time after cutting my hair I had anxiety that my gender expression was not matching with my gender identity. I don’t mean this in the way that I looked like a boy and I felt like a woman, but to use lesbian terms, I self-identified as being more femme, but all of a sudden was presenting more butch.

Over time this anxiety dissipated as I explored my style, met more queer people who expressed their gender and sexuality in a wide range of ways, and became more comfortable exploring my own self-expression. The simple act of cutting ones hair from a longer length to a short length had an immense impact on my life as a woman and a lesbian.

My experience with the visual expression of my gender and sexuality relates to Judith Butler’s 1990 book Gender Trouble which argues that gender is “performative.” Butler argued that gender is something that is done and performed by the individual, that each of us takes on a role and that we are acting in some way.

While my anxiety about my gender expression, or as Butler would say, gender performance, dissipated over time and I found my own individual style and way to perform my queerness, I periodically consciously over-perform my lesbianism. For example I will attempt to “look gay” when going to Pride events or to clubs that cater to queer women. For me this is a combination of a fun way to visually display my queerness in a safe space and to signal to other queer women that I am not straight.

When I had short hair, I didn’t have to perform my queerness as much as I do now that I have long hair again. I now find myself intentionally outing myself to new people by mentioning my female partner so that I am never in a situation where I am assumed to be straight.

2 comments:

Ariahna Sanchez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ariahna Sanchez said...

Kim Angulo,

As a queer womxn who currently struggles with her visual appearance from time-to-time, I appreciated your post. I also find myself bringing up my female partner because I don't want to be mistaken as straight.

I also find that I am more self-conscious about my appearance because my partner is a butch/stud lesbian, and I sometimes feel like people expect me to be the "girly one" or the "womxn in the relationship." Because of this, when I do want to wear makeup and dresses, it makes me feel like I am feeding into the stereotype the heterosexual community has (that there is still a "man" and a "womxn" in homosexual couples). But sometimes I also feel funny if I am not as femme and walk out of the house in some comfortable clothes, like a sweatshirt and running shoes, because then I feel like society might not see my partner and I as a couple.

However, when I go to a queer establishment, I definitely like to dress up and wear things that I would otherwise feel unsafe to wear and I like showing off my gender identity through the clothes I wear to clubs and bars. In this aspect, I appreciated your connection to Judith Butler's Gender Trouble because I very much feel like many of us are gender performing at queer clubs and bars and that is one of the reasons the atmosphere feels so safe for me.

I also relate to the anxiety that you had surrounding the cutting of your hair and the feeling that your hair didn't match your identity. I used to have long straight hair down to my waste and I cut it all off to less than 3 inches long. I got accustomed to it but would not do it again because I did not feel like it matched who I truly was. It also made me feel even more uncomfortable because my partner also has super short hair and I wasn't sure how society would view two lesbians with short hair.

Thank you so much for writing such a relatable post!