Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Sometimes, the customer is wrong

I spent the year prior to beginning law school the way I imagine many other millennial humanities majors do: working at various part-time jobs while living with my parents. After leaving resumes at what felt like every business in my hometown, I was called to interview for a hostess position at a local restaurant and brewery.

Reading off of the standard list of questions, the interviewer asked what I thought about the mantra that “the customer is always right.” A predictable question with a litany of acceptable answers. “Excellent service is crucial to running a successful business.” “This job is about putting others first, going above and beyond for them.”

But this question irked me for some reason. Perhaps because I had already accepted a different job, I felt like being excessively honest. I responded that I wouldn’t go so far as to say “always,” because while good service is important, there comes a point when employees’ comfort and safety outweigh pandering to an irrational customer. The interviewer seemed surprised. She acknowledged that management cared about the employees’ well-being, quickly adding that customer satisfaction is still the most important aspect of their operation.

Reflecting on the question, my mind had snapped back to a situation at my previous job, as an English instructor in Peru. I had a student, a much older man, who would arrive at the school obnoxiously early every morning (before the rest of the class was around). Initially, we would converse casually until the other students trickled in and I could begin the lesson. However, this "friendship" soon snowballed into him mumbling comments about my body in class and badgering me to go out for drinks with him.

I demurred day after day, perfecting the art of avoidance: lingering downstairs, “pouring my coffee” for 15 minutes, asking the secretary questions, and organizing dry erase markers. This was not a very punctual class either, so most days I had to start teaching with only this student in the room.

My boss was a British man, only a few years older than I was. For context, whenever I didn’t have a class to teach, he would task me with standing outside handing flyers to passersby because “sex sells.” Unsurprisingly, when I told him about the creepy student situation, he joked that I should reciprocate the advances to help guarantee the guy’s continued enrollment. It was due to his pressure that I went to lunch with the student after class one day, supposedly to practice his English (we needed to have a reputation for “going the extra mile”).

I realize that teaching is not like a typical service job, and students are not usually thought of as customers. However, in a private school setting, there can be the same pervasive culture of maintaining cash flow and improving reputation at any cost to employees. This is to say that, for many women, putting up with difficult people for the sake of good business can go much further than plastering a smile and remembering to fill the water glasses regularly.

Recently, a restaurant security camera video went viral. It depicted a waitress, Emelia Holden, tackling a male customer who had groped her. She was hailed for standing up for herself, refusing to be disrespected. Other women who had been harassed before in the restaurant industry said that seeing the video had “empowered them to react more assertively next time.” Holden reported that she was confident in her reaction, knowing she would have the support of the restaurant owners and her coworkers.

For every story like this, there are many left untold of women who ignore harassment or laugh it off. A friend of mine working as a server once complained about a regular customer who always tried touch her inappropriately. Because the customer was a close friend of the restaurant owner, her boss refused to do anything about it. 

While some advocate for assertiveness in the workplace as a way for women to avoid being taken advantage of (lean in?), it would be naïve to assume that employees all have equal bargaining power to their employers. Women can be assertive and demand respect, but often only insofar as their employers allow it. Many part-time and low-wage workers are at will employees, meaning that they can be terminated without cause. This, along with other factors such as language barriers and immigration status, can lock women into a harmful work environment.

It is unclear whether legal solutions would play a role in solving these issues, considering that many do not have the time and resources to commence a lawsuit. However, some suggest that steps be taken in training management on sexual harassment, in the hopes of reducing internal problems and building support for employees. Another option is to employ more women in higher up positions in this sector, with the idea that they may be more empathetic to issues like harassment.

Ultimately, I am probably reading too deeply into an old adage that doesn’t necessarily imply so much. But abiding by the contention that the customer is always right promotes the idea that profits are all that matter, disregarding the reality that women are more likely than men to experience harassment in the course of work. Some even argue that the way the service industry is run keeps women in a subservient position and normalizes sexism. While many things may be improving, these traditions perpetuate the reality that many women must suffer in order to maintain employment.

3 comments:

Avneet Athwal said...

I don't know if management training would help if the men in those positions are still not taking the issue seriously. Perhaps having more women in positions of power would do this, but in my experience, I have seen women simply end up acting the same as the men would have because they need to act as much like a man as possible to be taken seriously in their position. It seems that a much bigger social shift in thinking is required, one in which men take responsibility for their employees' (and friends' and family's) safety and comfort at the workplace instead of casting aside concerns as unimportant.

K. Russell said...

I agree with Avneet. It does seem to be an issue that requires larger social change in order to actually make any sizable difference. However, this seems like a rather daunting idea because, as your post points out, part of this problem is the internal culture of the service industry itself. Having "the customer is always right" as the go to service industry standard we've given customers a sense of entitlement. Men think they can get away with inappropriate actions towards female workers because that's what they've always been allowed to get away with. I think a good place to start with changing this attitude is to change this standard.

Kim said...

I don't think that you are reading into "an old adage" too much! My experience in the service industry was riddled with a combination of people talking down to me and saying I was stupid as well as people hitting on me. Looking back now this is particularly disturbing because for two years when I worked at KFC in high school I was hit on and was pretty obviously under age. I never spoke up and asked the customer to be kicked out or told to stop. I'm not sure if this was because I didn't realize how bad it was, or because I didn't think my boss would actually take me seriously.

The idea that "sex sells" is still prevalent in restaurants. I have friends who, because they wanted more money from tips, would wear tight tank tops and skirts as servers. The difference in tips they received when they wore skirts versus when they wore pants was obvious.

Perhaps it's an issue with employers who need to do more to protect their employees from sexual harassment. But personally I think it's bigger than that. Many customers don't see service workers as real people outside of their job, and are therefore more likely to treat them like objects. The "customer is always right" feeds into this idea. Service workers aren't people worthy of valid feelings or emotions because the customer is always right. This creates an environment where harassment of women is relatively acceptable, particularly if the harassment comes with higher tips.